Please note – My keywords page has moved. You can now find it here.
Keywording your photos is important. Especially when you start to get a large library or if you want to look at selling your images.
Some of us are better than others at managing our photos – perhaps storing them in a structured folder/directory layout on your computer or giving them relevant names based on what they are shots of. But if you take shots of similar things across a range of shoots it can still be difficult to find things. A simple examples might be you need a photo that shows the colour red quite predominantly. If all your shots are tagged with colour keywords then you can just search for “red” and presto – there’s all your images.
When I first started using Lightroom I searched online for keyword lists for a few subject areas I was interested in. I did find some but they were quite expensive, so instead I created some of my own. The lists I’ve created so far are:
- Geography – a list of all countries broken down by continent
- Animals – I’m sure this won’t be complete but includes over 350 animals
- Colours – Red or Crimson? A list of 42 of the more common colours
- Natural Landforms – Beaches, canyons, forest and glaciers
- Bodies of Water – Over 30 terms for that wet stuff
- Buildings – Nearly 180 words for man-made structures
- Weather – Keywords for describing the weather and atmospheric conditions
There are a lot of keywords here and although I used to provide them as donationware I’ve now had to switch to charging a small fee to download them.
The cost for all the keyword lists shown above is just USD$5. If you’d like to purchase them then please click the button below. Payment is via PayPal (you don’t need a PayPal account) and after paying you’ll be redirected to the page where you can download the keyword lists.